Mother's Day can be a bittersweet holiday for those of us who didn't have the kind of relationship with their moms that was ready-made for a sunlit Kodak commercial. But, to paraphrase Tolstoy, happy mother-child relationships are all the same; every unhappy mother-child relationship is unhappy in its own way. Can you suss out the unique parenting fails in this quiz on the Worst Mothers of All Time?
(Scroll down for answers and explanations.)
—Michael Y. Park is a writer living in New York City and a regular contributor to Details.com.
- (B) The fish-guts quote actually came from My Mother's Keeper, the tell-all about Bette Davis written by her daughter, B.D. Hyman.
- (A) According to Cassius Dio, she asked her assassins to stab her through the womb, because it had given birth to such a horrible son.
- (D) Nero is reported to have kicked a pregnant Poppaea Sabina to death himself.
- (C) Lee did, of course, write the memoir that went on to become the acclaimed musical Gypsy!, creating the blueprint for the Hollywood tell-all about monstrous stage mothers. And according to son Erik Preminger, Lee's mother, Rose Hovick, killed her lover because she'd made a pass at Lee. Hovick, by the way, used to get her other daughter, June Havoc, to cry in silent films at the age of 3 by telling her that her dog had died.
- (B) Krentcil also mocked Polizzi as "fat," "disgusting," "fake," and "the biggest a-hole in the world."