Shimon and Ariel Ovadia, twin brothers and designers of the three-year-old brand Ovadia & Sons, on what to wear to bed, traveling in style, and buying used.
1. Surround yourself with what you love. Your place should be filled with things that make you happy, inspire you, and reflect your personality.
2. The main thing is to be yourself. Wear clothing that complements your lifestyle and personality. It may take a while, but you'll figure it out.
3. Work hard and love what you do. Take risks and follow your instinct. We spend the majority of our lives working; you might as well enjoy it.
4. Invest in a great tuxedo; any black-tie occasion calls for one. Don't be the guy in a business suit at a black-tie function or wedding. I'm fascinated with formal clothing and its elegance; there's something so romantic about it to me. I have a few different tuxedos and dinner jackets and a variety of formal shoes and shirts.
5. Even if jewelry isn't your thing, every man can at least appreciate a great watch. The watch of choice says a lot about you, kind of like the shoes you wear. You need two watches: one for everyday and one for dress and special occasions. There are also some watches that will serve both purposes. Invest in something classic that will appreciate in value. No diamonds or bling.
6. Buy things that will last a lifetime, even if that means buying less.
7. Old is sometimes better than new. Everyone always wants the latest this and the newest that. There are some things in life that are great worn and old: a good pair of jeans, a leather jacket, or a vintage watch, for example—things that have character and tell a story.
8. Every man should have stationery that reflects his personality and personal style. A handwritten note is always well received (along with nice penmanship).
9. Wear pajamas. Get your initials monogrammed on the waist. You'll enjoy wearing them and you'll look better when you're having your morning coffee—rather than that old T-shirt.
10. Travel in style. Your personal style should not only be reflected in your clothing but in everything you own, including your luggage and garment and toiletry bags. It's something you will truly appreciate and makes traveling more enjoyable.