Since launching their Rag & Bone menswear line in 2004, designers Marcus Wainwright and David Neville were named Menswear Designers of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America (2010) and have opened a dozen retail locations around the world where men can shop the brand's signature mix of casual, downtown style and traditional English tailoring.
Here, Wainwright and Neville tell us about the color that looks great on every guy, how much man jewelry is too much, and reveal an unexpected investment that makes a major style statement.
1. It's all about the fit. Always.
2. If you're not comfortable in it, you have no business wearing it.
3. Shoes and outerwear make a lasting impression—never scrimp on these.
4. A great pair of jeans can take you just about anywhere. Once you found your perfect pair, stock up.
5. Guys can wear jewelry—just keep it to one or two (max) signature pieces like a really great watch or a gold chain.
6. A man can never have too many white T-shirts—they'll be in style for the rest of time.
7. Gray looks good on everyone—own at least one sweater or T-shirt in this color.
8. Always ensure your clothes are spotless and keep a fabric brush in your office and/or car. Gentlemanly disheveled is good—plain scruffy is not.
9. Invest in great stationery—it's an extension of your style.
10. Square-toed shoes and bootcut jeans are never acceptable. Ever.