You can't put the words "lifestyle" and "brand" together without mentioning Need Supply Co., the Richmond-based boutique turned online menswear mecca and notable blog. We chatted with creative director Gabriel Ricioppo about the casual shoe he likes to mix with button-ups, the easiest shirt color to mix and match, and why you shouldn't take grooming inspiration from Tumblr.
1. I like mixing sneakers with a dressier button-up or trousers. Nike's having their best moment since the Dunk shoe. Whoever invented the Flyknit should be high up over there.
2. Try and buy a shirt that fits since altering gets expensive, but always hem your pants, even if it's denim.
3. We had a big holiday party and a guy wore an ascot for the first time. If you're trying out something new or completely changing up your style, pick a more mellow event.
4. Someone else said this, and I can't remember who: "Every man needs a blue shirt, and the other thing he needs is a blue shirt." If you look in my closet, it's mostly white and blue, and I'm fine with that.
5. Never apologize for caring about aesthetics, even if it's little things. For example, I really enjoy the sticker placement on my surfboard.
6. Shoes make the biggest impact on an outfit, but so many guys in the States wear bad ones. Authentic Vans are great and not expensive, as are low-top Chuck Taylors. Just stay away from mall shoes.
7. Luggage should be durable since it gets beaten to bits. The next step up for me is going to be a piece from Rimowa.
8. Don't just grow out a moustache with big curls because it looked cool on Tumblr—whatever you do needs to feel right for you.
—Kristen Dold. Follow her on Twitter at @KristenDold.