Meet the new masters of sweater season: brothers Matthew and Alex Orley, who, along with Matt's fiancé Samantha Florence, have made a sartorial splash with their irreverent knitwear, fine craftsmanship (the majority of the line is manufactured out of Italy), and penchant for pastel palettes and bold patterns. (You're going to want these taupe leather camo-print gloves under the tree this year.)
Here's what the young designers had to say about dressing like dad, letting your gloves make the outfit, and the merits of giving navy a break.
1. If you're just starting to expand your color palette, don't jump to purple. If navy is your color, try something in the blue family like aqua or turquoise.
2. Caps are great for summer, beanies are great for winter, and fedoras are great for Halloween.
3. Don't limit yourself to one look. We take pride in our ability to put on socks and underwear most days, and that's about as uniform as it gets.
4. Gloves can be the point of interest in your outfit. Look for interesting prints, textures, or color combinations.
5. Take serious clothes and wear them with a bit of abandon.
6. Don't be afraid to dress like your dad or grandfather—there's cool style there. It's the hallmark of what we do.
7. Mix patterns freely. Try throwing a bold scarf over a houndstooth blazer.
8. Never wear shorts on a first date. If you're wearing shorts on a first date you're completely helpless.
9. The one place you should always splurge is on your wife.
10. Match your clothes to the weather, and there's wiggle room everywhere else.
—Kristen Dold. Follow her on Twitter at @KristenDold.