Honduras-born, New York-based designer Carlos Campos is known for incorporating Latin American influences in his suits and contemporary separates.
We caught up with him to talk about his love of tote bags, what he never leaves home without, and the style combination that makes a huge statement but takes "serious cojones" to pull off.
1. Ride your bicycle as much as you can. It will take you places faster than a taxi and help you keep in shape. It's also another accessory to complement any outfit.
2. It might sound crazy, but I carry my electric razor in my bag all the time. Keeping a good shave should be on everyone's to-do list. If you have a beard or 'stache, even just a little touch-up on the go tightens up your look big time.
3. A tote bag is a cool and practical way of carrying your necessities around. It's definitely a classic that never goes out of style. I have tote bags in a variety of colors so that I can switch it up depending on my mood and outfit.
4. Monochromatic outfits make a huge statement. It takes serious cojones to do this—and I don't mean an all-black ensemble. Be bold and dare to don other hues like deep navy or plum wine.
5. Sweatpants are a big no. Who cares if they're made out of leather?
6. Make sure you download a good movie or TV show before you get on a plane. I've found that I can't trust the airline's movie selection, and if you fly often enough, you end up seeing the same movie more than once before it goes out of rotation.
7. I'm big on reading books on planes, as well as listening to language courses. It's a time where you have very few distractions and can really focus on what's in front of you.
8. Don't leave home without a light jacket, because you really don't know where you may end up at the end of the day. Moms around the world have been giving this advice since the dawn of time, and it still holds true.
9. Never underestimate the power of clean, spiffy shoes.
10. Posture is vital! Stand up straight and you'll exude more confidence and look 10 pounds lighter.