After an unsuccessful hunt for the perfect men's bag led Massachusetts-native Ernest Sabine to throw his hands up and make his own, he decided to take it one step further and founded men's accessories brand Ernest Alexander in 2009. Sabine has since expanded the label, and recently presented his Fall 2014 collection (pictured below) at New York Men's Day.
Here, Sabine cautions us against camo, reveals the identity of his sartorial best friend, and shares the three characteristics that will make you the best-dressed man in any room.
1. A white button-down shirt is the most versatile piece of clothing any guy can own.
2. When in doubt, listen to your kid(s)—they'll always be honest.
3. A great bag may not make the man, but it certainly helps clean him up.
4. You don't need to wear the same thing everyday, but know what looks good on you and always have a strong supply of comfortable basics.
5. A navy blazer is almost always appropriate.
6. Camo is cool but let's not get carried away; there's no war on style going on.
7. A classic pair of dark brown oxfords is like a great friend. You don't have to see each other very often but you know you can count on them when needed.
8. Our wardrobes should tell stories.
9. A guy should always know more than one way to tie a tie.
10. Confidence, comfort, and charisma leads any man to being the best dressed in the room.
Also on Details.com:
Rules of Style: Patrik Ervell
Rules of Style: Billy Reid