Just two years ago, Nathan Bogle took the expertise he gained as a co-founder of Rag & Bone and founded his own label, Jardine. You can find his clothes online now, but his Fall 2014 collection will be available in Odin and Fred Segal, as well as stores in Toronto and Tokyo.
Bogle's menswear prowess has a lot to do with why his new business is growing so fast—and so does his famous clientele. His clothing has been seen on the backs of guys like Jude Law and Aaron Paul. So what advice would he give his famous followers about style? Bogle talked with us about why you should always take a girl shopping and the importance of investing in premium denim.
1. "Investment pieces are important because they're generally the things that become the staples and go to's for years to come. They form a base in your wardrobe that you can build around. I've often found the clothes I've spent a little more money on are the ones I wear most often and last the longest."
2. "A great-fitting pair of jeans should be your first style investment because it's the most versatile garment these days. It's worth shopping around and trying on a few fits to see what looks best on you. Ask a girl to go shopping with you; she'll quickly tell you what looks good and what doesn't."
3. "To make a classic look feel contemporary, it needs a little twist. That can be done with cool accessories, interesting color combinations, or different proportions. I'm English, so I grew up wearing the top buttons done up on shirts with no tie, or maybe a dress shoe with jeans, and little quirks like that. Nowadays these aren't so uncommon, but in England and Europe guys experiment a bit more with personal style and aren't afraid to take a few risks."
4. "When accessorizing, keep it simple and don't overdo it."
5. "A leather jacket is a great staple in any man's wardrobe. It's a piece that you can wear all year round. It'll get better with age and is definitely worth the spend."
6. "Wear jeans, a hoodie, and a jacket if you're traveling a fair amount and want to be comfortable. Nothing too dressy—just functional."
7. "To find your personal style, start by wearing what you feel comfortable in and what suits your personality. From there, explore elements that might be outside your comfort zone, but are things that resonate with you when you see them on other guys or in magazines. There are so many mens magazines and blogs out that can give you inspiration. It's a great time to find the exact style and vibe you like."
8. "Try incorporating Argan oil into your skincare routine. It's light, natural and easy to use. A friend of mine who works in skincare told me about it and said it was the best thing to use because it's so natural. It comes from Morocco and they've been using it there for centuries."
9. "Have an annual travel destination. My mother lives in Italy so I try to visit at least once a year. I recommend trying to get out of the big cities if you can and explore some of the country. The southeastern part of Italy is relatively tourist free, so you really get a taste of authentic Italian culture there."
10. "To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, 'Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy.'"
Also on Details.com:
9 Investment Pieces for Your Spring Wardrobe
Rules of Style: Tying One on With Designer David Hart
Rules of Style: Turnbull & Asser's Dean Gomilsek-Cole on How to Get a Perfect-Fit Shirt (and What Common Mistake to Avoid)