From Miami to Montreal to Maryland, gruesome tales of cannibalism seem to be everywhere in the news the last couple of weeks. But it's not the first time the public has found an appetite (sorry!) for sensational accounts of people eating people. How well do you know your cannibalism history, real and imagined? Test yourself with our handy quiz.
• • •
1. What's the ultimate fate of Robinson Crusoe's man Friday, the Carib he rescues from cannibals and converts to Christianity?
A. He becomes a vicar in Scotland and dies in his sleep.
B. He goes on a mission to proselytize island natives and disappears.
C. He marries an Englishwoman, has 13 children, and dies of a stroke while visiting Crusoe's grave.
D. He's killed by cannibals on the same island Crusoe was stranded on when the pair return in the sequel.
2. True or false: Sweeney Todd was a real person.
3. What did Hannibal "the Cannibal" Lecter enjoy "with fava beans and a nice Chianti"?
A. An IRS agent's spleen
B. A census taker's liver
C. An FBI agent's brain
D. A patient's kidney
4. What country can claim TV presenters Dennis Storm and Valerio Zeno—who caused public outrage in late 2011 when they broadcast footage of themselves allegedly eating dishes prepared from each others' buttocks and stomachs?
A. The Netherlands
C. The United Kingdom
5. In 1993, future South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone starred in a low-budget comedy movie called Cannibal! The Musical based on the man-eating story of:
A. Milwaukee serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer
B. Those pioneers-gone-feral, the Donner Party
C. Alleged 19th-century cannibal Alfred Packer
D. The rugby-team survivors of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571
6. Who wrote a play turned movie about a pedophile who is torn apart and devoured by boys he preyed upon?
A. Rob Zombie
B. Roger Corman
C. Dario Argento
D. Tennessee Williams
7. What future Oscar winner plays the wife in the graphic 1989 cannibalistic revenge flick The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover?
A. Tilda Swinton
B. Helen Mirren
C. Kim Basinger
D. Judi Dench
8. Name the movie this quote comes from: "Everything in this room is eatable. Even I'm eatable, but that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies."
A. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
B. American Psycho
C. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
D. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
9. Where does the Soylent Corporation claim its new food product comes from in 1973's Soylent Green?
B. Reprocessed human and animal waste
C. A vague and entirely synthetic chemical compound
D. People! Soylent Green is people!
10. What was reportedly the euphemism used for human flesh prepared for eating in the Marquesas Islands?
B. "Meat that moans"
C. "Long pig"
D. "Gift of the ancestors"
NOTE: Scroll down for answers and explanations.
• • •
• • •
—Michael Y. Park is a writer living in New York City and a regular contributor to Details.com.