The Emmy nominations came out last week…and your name wasn't among them. (Our condolences to Mad Men's Jessica Paré, pictured above.) But so what if you won't win a little golden girl of your own? You can always astound and amaze with your knowledge of Emmys history, right?
• • •
1. What's that round thing Emmy's holding?
A. An atom
B. A globe
C. A testicle
D. Just a plain old sphere with no symbolic meaning
2. What show has won the most Emmys ever?
B. Guiding Light
D. Sesame Street
3. What is Emmy named after?
A. The Academy's first president's wife
B. Political activist Emma Goldman
C. The image-orthicon camera tube
D. Poet Emily Dickinson
4. What was the Emmy Award originally supposed to be called?
5. Film editor Louis McManus won a special award at the first Emmy Awards ceremony in 1949. What was it for?
A. Developing a way to reveal answers to viewers but not to contestants on quiz shows
B. Designing the Emmy Award statuette
C. Pioneering the three-camera setup for sitcoms
D. Inventing the laugh track
6. The individual with the most Emmy wins is producer Sheila Nevins, with 22. What is she most known for?
A. Hour-long dramas
B. Reality shows
7. Camera operator Hector Ramirez has been nominated for more Emmys than any other person in Academy history—64 times (he won 17). In a recent interview, he said he considered it a snub when his work on a David Copperfield special in China wasn't given an Emmy. Who'd he lose to?
A. David Lynch for Twin Peaks
B. The camera operator who jimmied up the walk-and-talks on The West Wing
C. A stand-up-comedy show by Jimmie Walker, from Good Times
D. Footage of a water-skiing squirrel
8. Which of the following wasn't a category at the first Emmy Awards?
A. Best Actor in a Drama
B. Best Film Made for Television
C. Station Award
D. Most Popular Television Program
9. How many different organizations are responsible for the Emmys?
10. What would-be Emmy nominee scandalized the industry by sending out mailers to Academy voters that read, "Come on, you bloated, overprivileged Brentwood Jews. Let us into your little club"?
A. Mel Gibson
B. Hugh Laurie
C. Howard Stern
D. Seth MacFarlane
NOTE: Scroll down for answers and explanations.
• • •
• • •
—Michael Y. Park is a writer living in New York City and a regular contributor to Details.com.