Agi & Sam's Agape Mdumulla (above, at left) and Sam Cotton have had a busy year. The young design duo won a British Fashion Award for emerging talent in the fall and recently collaborated with Grenson and Nike. They've come a long way since they met as interns at Alexander McQueen.
We chatted with the the two about timeless patterns, the easiest way to make a suit look modern, and why you should be wearing more black and white this summer.
1. This summer we'd recommend black and white, big bold checks. Summer is usually all about color, but there was a lot of monochrome in last season's collections and with it launching in stores in August it's the perfect time to start wearing it.
2. Wearing a plain white tee and trainers is always an easy way of wearing a suit, as long as you do it correctly. The T-shirt needs to be oversized or it will look like you're trying too hard, and the trainers need to be clean, otherwise you could end up looking a bit homeless.
3. Vans for summer. Slip-ons or classic lace ups. They're just so easy and versatile.
4. Navy on navy is always an easy option when styling just one color. It means you can wear a T-shirt with trousers and still look smart as it matches the outfit together.
5. A good check pattern is always timeless. /p>
6. "We've found some amazing things in Streatham charity shops. So much old vintage and designer clothing for next to nothing. And dine in Camberwell at Silk Road or The Columbian Restaurant in Brixton Village.
7. When finding your personal style, don't try too hard. Know how you are built and what you look like. If it feels right, it's probably right.
8. Always have a really good summer coat and a really good winter coat. Never try and wear them through seasons or you'll either freeze to death or die of dehydration.
• • •