Along with two brothers, a sister, and three cousins, Canali communications director Elisabetta Canali is a third-generation member of the family-run menswear brand, which her grandfather established in 1934. She pursued a law degree before returning home to pick up where her father left off, devoting her early mornings, late nights, and family weekends to the company, as well as to her customer, a man she describes as "a connoisseur who appreciates the finer things in life; he doesn't spend his money unnecessarily but chooses to invest in quality, and he knows where to find it."
Here, Canali shares her advice on how to accessorize a suit, the fabrics to wear to stand out in even the best-dressed crowds, and the simple trick to ensuring your jacket fits you properly.
1. Choose a comfortable style, the shape that best suits your silhouette to make you feel at ease without losing your savoir-faire.
2. Accessories are important. Scarves can be used both in winter and summertime. Cufflinks and tie pins can be worn daily too—they add a touch of charm.
3. Details like colored socks can give a special twist to your style. If you want to stand out, wear a waist coast as part of a three-piece suit or matched with a jacket.
4. Color combinations are essential. Your shoes and belt need to be matched while your pocket square and tie do not.
5. Follow proper etiquette—every occasion requires a specific model and pattern.
6. To choose a well-cut jacket, focus on the shoulders—they should fill without stiffening. The jacket should embrace your chest perfectly and softly. The most important thing is you should feel comfortable in it.
7. Stand out from the crowd and focus on precious fabrics—velvet, cashmere, baby llama, or astrakhan can make such a difference.
8. Style never goes on holiday. Weekend and travel are not synonymous with shabby style. For frequent travelers I suggest going for comfortable refined, wrinkle-free clothes that allow you to look perfect, even after a long-distance flight.
9. A good attitude and a nice smile are essential to looking your best.
10. If you are not confident in your choices, ask for style advice.
—Perrin Drumm. Follow her on Instagram @perrindrumm.
• • •