The Parisian fashion and record label, Maison Kitsuné, was founded just over a decade ago when Gildas Loaëc and Masaya Kuroki came up with the idea while on a tour in Japan with Daft Punk. We followed up on a previous conversation with the Tastemakers (last year we chatted about their style icons, film inspirations, and favorite restaurants) about their day-to-day uniform, where to shop in Tokyo, and the small touches that can upgrade your look.
1. You can't go wrong with a sharp military-inspired ensemble. Khaki chinos with a flight jacket and a crisp white shirt is a winning combination.
2. Listening to up-and-coming artists keeps you young and au courant. We're always inspired by the young talent represented on Kitsuné, our music label.
3. 1950s style makes every man look very elegant, classy, and masculine. It's a foolproof formula, in our opinion.
4. The best day-to-day uniform is a pair of Levi's 501s, a plain white Kitsuné Parisien tee, and cool, casual J.M. Weston loafers. It's so easy. That said, you can also be more complex in your attire. Be inspired by Japanese men who aren't afraid to wear many layers of clothes in different prints and fabrics...but be careful of the "Christmas tree" effect.
5. We love Tokyo for its interesting and diverse fashion finds. Our favorite places to shop are Tomorrowland, United Arrows and Sons, and Okura Blue Blue. For a local find, be on the lookout for a pair of Alden shoes. Or if you're on the hunt for a new pair, check out their collaboration with Anatomica—it's amazing.
6. Every time we travel, we carefully edit our packing lists and carry-ons. The Mr Porter Yoshida Kaban trolley never lets me down.
7. Aside from their functionality, a great set of spectacles can be a perfect finishing touch to your look. We love Oliver Peoples (and are partial to the frames in our collaboration, of course!).
8. While it's very important to be chic, you need to keep a slightly vulgar, off-color element in your disposition, too. It puts people at ease, shows your sense of humor, and has a great, inclusive quality.
9. As Parisians, we have no problem saying that nothing beats a well-made Italian espresso. That's how much we adore it.
10. Certain small touches will always upgrade your look: A good pair of shoes, a nice watch, a proper haircut, plus a classic button-down oxford shirt. And if you can, throw on a great jacket in Italian fabric. Et voilà!
• • •