"Fashion is just another accessory for someone with great style," says British Columbia-based menswear designer Raif Adelberg, who recently expanded his business with the launch of his first women's collection for the Spring/Summer 2013 season.
Details caught up with Adelberg and asked him about his three wardrobe essentials, how to wear vintage, and the secret behind his recognizable scent.
1. My essentials include a good cashmere cardigan, leather motorcycle jacket (I like Langlitz's), and a good travel bag (I get mine at Margiela).
2. I like mixing the old with the new, like a vintage T-shirt and a pair of Lanvin pants.
3. Accessorize with a classic gold ring, something that could be passed on from generation to generation. My watches can vary from a classic like a Cartier Tank or a vintage eighties Keith Haring Swatch.
4. Everyone needs a couple pairs of good, classic sunglasses (like Ray-Ban, Cartier, or Porsche Carrera) and at least one pair of Linda Farrow shades.
5.Once I find a classic I like, I don't waver. I've worn Birdwells swim trunks since I was 12.
6. For cooler nights, I grab a vintage denim jacket like a Lee 101 J or a Storm Rider.
7. People recognize me a lot of times by my scent, which I should thank Loree Rodkin for.
8. I like good books and love the feel and the smell of vintage hard-bound copies.
9. The key is to wear your clothing, don't let your clothing wear you.
10. Wear fashion, create style.
—Andrew Villagomez. Follow him at @AndyVeeNYC
• • •