Downtown curator of all things cool, Steven Alan ran a retail shop and showroom before starting his own line and now a new home shop. He might be known for his eye-catching plaid shirts, but we caught up with the style expert to talk great eyewear, fashion mementos, and that perfect piece of luggage.
1. Whenever possible, get an automatic watch that's water resistant and stainless steel. I like straps that are made of good-quality natural leather that only get better over time.
2. Classics are just that—classic. My goal is to create new ones.
3. I always like to see that individual expression of style that often comes from choice of accessories—shoes, hats, scarves, sweaters, etc.
4. I don't think men should ever look too perfect. This is not just for dress but their hair and grooming, as well.
5. Any of our shirts over a white tee and jeans is a great go-to.
6. I don't look for things because they're in fashion, but because they're beautiful and will have longevity in my closet for years to come.
7. Look around carefully for your eyewear, because it's the thing you're always wearing and it's one of the first things people see.
8.I like to buy things when traveling, especially shoes. It's a nice reminder of the streets I walked through while I was away.
9. A great wheeled carry-on will be used for years and years and years. I use mine every month and always travel with a collapsible duffel bag. That way there's room to bring something home.
10. I'm drawn to clothing that has a distinct personality. For instance, when you can look at something mixed in on a rack with other brands and say, "Oh, that's so-and-so . . ." It's less about the brand image or marketing, but more the cut, construction, and fabrications.
—Todd Plummer. Follow him at @toddkingston
• • •