Twin brother design duo Byron and Dexter Peart started their unisex accessory brand, WANT Les Essentiels de la Vie, in 2006 after Byron's stint as Diesel's marketing director and Dexter's job in sales and marketing at the Canadian edition of Ocean Drive Magazine.
Details recently caught up with the designers, who just released the bright new Orly Frisé tote bag (pictured below), embroidered with a geometric pattern inspired by textile designer Beni Ourain and traditional Asante Kente fabrics. Byron and Dexter shared their thoughts on good design, the three key investment pieces, and finding a balance between form and function.
Orly Frisé is available at Maison Kitsuné at The NoMad Hotel. ($450)
1. Your bag is your most important accessory!
2. Quality always trumps quantity; look to build a wardrobe with a lasting statement.
3. Form and function. Beautiful clothing and accessories should not only be aesthetically pleasing but should also meet your needs.
4. A man should project style, not his clothes. Great style comes from within.
5. Don't be afraid to reference the past, if it still looks good after decades, there's a reason why.
6. Great style is closer to good design than fashion.
7. Don't forget the details; the smallest details speak volumes.
8. Own a tuxedo and invest in nice shoes—and an even nicer watch.
9. Be curious and flexible, and remember, there are no set rules, only guidelines. Style is personal.
10. The one rule that we always abide by is to always be consistent and essential.
—Andrew Villagomez. Follow him at @AndyVeeNYC
• • •