Beloved for his mind-bending light-based work, 70-year-old James Turrell is arguably the greatest living conceptual artist. And this summer he'll be the most celebrated, with major exhibitions from coast to coast. Here, five places across the country where you can view his work.
1. New York City: "James Turrell" at the Guggenheim.
Transforms Frank Lloyd Wright's legendary rotunda into a massive light piece.
June 21-September 25, 2013.
2. Houston: "James Turrell: The Light Inside" at the Museum of Fine Arts.
Features never-before-seen works curated around the museum's signature piece, The Light Inside, an illuminated underground passageway that creates the illusion of floating in space.
June 9-September 22
3. Las Vegas: "The James Turrell Experience at Crystals."
This recently opened permanent installation turns the monorail station at the ultra-modern CityCenter into a responsive organism that changes color when trains arrive and depart.
On view now.
4. Los Angeles: "James Turrell: A Retrospective" at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
The biggest and most comprehensive of the shows; includes early projections and drawings and the artist's recent experiments with holograms.
Through April 6, 2014
5. Santa Monica, California: "Sooner Than Later, Roden Crater" at Kayne Griffin Corcoran.
Tracks Turrell's progress on the monumental installation that he's been constructing inside an Arizona volcano since 1979 and marks the debut of a new "meditation room."
Through July 20
• • •