The Ultimate Meatball
During the past decade, Daniel Holzman has cooked at top restaurants all along the West Coast—from the San Francisco osteria SPQR to the Los Angeles locavore heaven Axe—but for his New York City eatery, The Meatball Shop, he has focused his considerable skills on the red-sauce favorite. If you're in the mood for old-school comfort food, prepare to be awed.
- 2 lb ground beef chuck
- 1/4 cup finely chopped prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh or boxed bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- A splash of olive oil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, gently mix all the ingredients with your hands until thoroughly combined. Roll the mixture into tight golf-ball-size spheres, about 2 tablespoons each. Lightly oil a shallow baking pan or an ovenproof skillet, add the meatballs, and roast without turning until just cooked through, about 15 minutes.