Fine Print: How to Pull Off the Look
1. When you wear a patterned shirt, it's generally wise to restrict the rest of your outfit to neutral shades like gray, navy, and khaki.
2. An easy, effective way to mix patterns is to combine a printed shirt with a tie in a textured fabric—say, gingham with herringbone.
3. Keep it small: A subtle, tasteful pattern can be garish in a larger size.
4. If you're feeling hesitant, the best starter pattern for shirts is the simple pin dot.
5. Keep the collar of a patterned shirt on the small side so your overall look doesn't get too noisy.